Tuesday, August 08, 2006

More Heat More Hurt and a Bad Hose

(To start sorry for the late update. Internet access is limited and in high demand so I get it when I get it.)

Most considered todays stage the Queen Stage which was over 100km with more than 60% on forest service roads and huge climbs that would end in Elkhorn, BC. Today's stage would also include the highest point of the race.

Although the singletrack riding didn't dominate the stage that which was used was very techical with roots, baby head rock descents and serious cliff exposure. Temps again were in the low 90s making hydration key and heat exhaustion a real threat.

Usually the support staff at a race like this doesn't have a lot of excitement while the riders are out doing their thing, but today I had my own fun. Just as soon as I got going from Blarmore I got a quick whiff of radiator steam. As soon as I pulled off to wait for Chris to fuel the entire engine compartment erupted in steam. After poking around we finally found the failed cooling hose. Luckily, we were still close to town and headed to Napa for replacement parts. Eventually we got it fixed and I think I passed Ford 101.

Dan and Randy once again placed 1st in the 100+ grouping by over 40 minutes at 6:33:23 for the stage. This puts them in a very solid lead for the remaining stages. Derek and Dale had another solid stage moving them up in the general classification. Nicola and Mel had a tough day with the heat and energy robbing terrain, but still hold third spot in Open women.

So far the NW teams haven't had any serious injuries or major bike mechanicals.

Tomorrow, other long stage just shy of 100k. Temps are suppose to cool a bit with a chance of rain.




Photo Share....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home